Getting a good night’s sleep helps your mind and your body. Sleep helps with learning, memory, and mood. Sleep also prepares you to make healthier food and activity choices the next day. Many people do not know that good sleep can help you regulate your weight.
10 Easy Steps
to improve your sleep
- Go to sleep and wake up at about the same time each day. A regular sleep/wake schedule will help your body get into a natural cycle.
- Do not drink alcohol or caffeine 4 to 6 hours before going to sleep. Cut back on alcohol and caffeine during the day, too.
- Minimize noise, light, and uncomfortably hot or cold temperatures in your bedroom.
- Learn relaxation strategies to help you wind down. Keep worry out of the bedroom. Write down worries or to-do lists on a notepad next to your bed.
- Create a sleep ritual to help your body prepare for sleeping. Deep breathing is a great way to relax the body.
- Go to sleep only when you feel sleepy.
- Avoid naps during the day. It will be easier to fall asleep at night.
- If you can’t fall asleep, get up and do something else. Try not to lie in bed thinking about how you’re not sleeping.
- Use your bed only for sleeping. You will associate your bed with sleep and relaxation.
- If you’re still having trouble, talk to your health care provider about your sleep.