Make a Healthier Plate
How to eat healthier by knowing the right combinations of food to eat.
THE 5 FOOD GROUPS
The basic parts of a healthy diet include:
fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy.
Here’s an easy way to make a healthy plate at breakfast, lunch, and dinner:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables. Make the other half grains and protein.
- Aim for many different colors of fruits and vegetables.
- Choose whole grains, like barley, brown rice, multi-grain crackers, oatmeal, quinoa, whole-wheat bread, whole-grain cereal, and whole- wheat tortillas.
- Go with lean proteins like chicken, beans, tofu, nuts, eggs, sh or other seafood. Lean proteins have less fat.
- For dairy, switch to skim or 1% milk. They have the same amount of calcium, but less fat and calories than whole or 2% milk.
- Skip the added fat. Frying in oil, lard, or butter adds a lot of extra fat. So do cheese, cream, sour cream, and salad dressing. Instead, grill, steam, stir- fry, or broil foods. Add flavor with toppings like sliced fresh peppers, salsa, nuts, seeds, and chopped fruit.